Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Macro Spiders - First of many

My new "toy" came in the post today. So from today on I am no longer limited in macro magnification. To date I've been shooting with my Tamron 18-270mm Dii VC PZD using macro filters. I am very pleased with the results I've obtained with the Tamron but I knew I had to push the boundaries and obtain higher magnification levels than could be offered by using a non macro lens with macro filters. Please have a look at some of my past results over at: My Fly is Open - on TAMRON365

Back to the subject at hand. If you spend some time on the web (pun intended) you will soon find out most popular macro photographers use some very unconventional equipment to obtain the fantastic results they do. I will follow this post with another explaining with what and how I took these photos.

The spiders in these images are only about 2mm long. These images are full sized images. No cropping whatsoever was performed. Just look at how thick the thin web strands appear on the second photo. The images were taken outside in a slight breeze. A whole bunch of these tiny spiders took up residence in two of my wife's sweet pepper plants. The leaves they've used to make their tiny nests in made for a good background. Lighting was provided by my camera's on-board flash. Focus is not as sharp as I would have liked but I am sure I will get the hang of the new equipment soon.

For now, please enjoy my first efforts with my new macro setup.


Canon 600D, Nikkor 24mm f2.8 reverse mounted. Exposure 1/200sec at f8 +2/3EV, ISO 200.










































Canon 600D, Nikkor 24mm f2.8 reverse mounted. Exposure 1/200sec at f8 +2/3EV, ISO 200.

No comments:

Post a Comment