Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bye Bye Bee

I found this little bee in the garden the other day after work while I was outside looking for insects to photograph. I wonder if his little life came to a natural end or if something else led to his demise.

Dead insects is about the only time when I take insects inside for close up photography using my DIY light box. In all other cases it adds to the fun and intrigue if you photograph insects in their natural surroundings.

This bee was staged on a leaf with a blue background. My camera was mounted on a sturdy tripod. I actually found shooting this way slower and much more cumbersome, compared against shooting hand held.

Here is what I've learned:
  • A sturdy tripod may be good, but it does not help much at this level of magnification if your tripod stands on a carpet. Just me touching the lens to set aperture is enough to move the camera. So note to self, get a hard surface to lay over the carpet area.
  • Also, it is far easier to move the subject than it is to move and refocus the camera. Try and have your subject on something that is easy to grab hold of and move in small increments. In my example, placing the bee on a leaf and the leaf on a piece of paper, means all I need to do is touch the paper with my finger to recompose the subject.
  • Lastly, your post image preview is an important tool. Possibly the most difficult part to macro photography is focus. After taking the photo, zoom in to your focal point using the image preview. Make sure your focus is sharp.


Canon 600D, Nikkor N 24mm f2.8 reverse mounted. Exposure 1/200sec at f16 +2/3EV, ISO 200, Focus manual, Flash popup through DIY softbox, flash +2EV.



Canon 600D, Nikkor N 24mm f2.8 reverse mounted. Exposure 1/200sec at f16 +2/3EV, ISO 200, Focus manual, Flash popup through DIY softbox, flash +2EV.

No comments:

Post a Comment